Saturday 4 August 2012

I'm back baby!

Long time no post!

I tore an oblique muscle 5 July that kept me from running (and most exercising) for almost 4 weeks. I was pretty low- the frustration and depression from another injury during the training cycle was pretty hard to bear.

I was really challenging myself; I was getting up early to fit in a morning workout alongside my regular lunchtime and after work sessions. I can't even remember the specific exercise that did me in; it was some sort of bridge, I think. What I initially thought was an annoying cramp just would not go away. I was struggling to complete the exercises in class and even walking back to work was uncomfortable. Sitting at my computer I was getting sorer and sorer; dull aches just sitting, and sharp, stabbing pain when I moved (or coughed, laughed, sneezed).

I put off running hill intervals that afternoon, and rested (like really rested- I barely got out of bed) over the weekend. I got through a speed session with my running group (likening the pain to being stabbed in the ribs with a screwdriver) but I pulled up so sore I knew I couldn't ignore it.

Diagnosis: torn oblique- 3-4 weeks of rehab. Only permissible exercises- stationary bike, light stretching and bridges on my knees. Should be OK to run City 2 Surf. Argh!

Well I was good, and followed doctor's orders. I had my first run last Saturday. 4.5km around the streets near my parents. I accidentally turned it into a tempo run, with 2 faster kilometres (about 4.45 pace) in the middle. It was uncomfortable rather than painful, and I had almost no pain afterward!

So I will still be running the City 2 Surf next weekend, but I will have to revise down my time goal. I am quite disappointed, despite a series of smaller injuries my training was coming along so well. The speed work was really paying off; training runs I was completing in 5.45 pace a few months ago I was doing at 5.25 pace without an increase in perceived effort. I haven't run further than 8 km in about 8 weeks, and my total running volume is much less than I where I would want to be, but I will finish the race and be happy with that (I hope)!

No comments:

Post a Comment